Sunday, February 17, 2008

Anaylsis Paper #2

For my analysis paper, I have chose to take the position to support the idea that racism originated from the white ethnicity and their need/want of the American dream the easiest way possible. I will be using chapter three, Capitalism, Class and the Matrix of Domination by Johnson and chapter three The Giddy Multitude to help aid my position that the authors also makes.

Capitalism verses the American dream – I want to start out by explaining the idea of the American dream and then related it to how a capitalistic economy runs. I want to start how the American dream can be achieved through this kind of system.

White immigrants and need for labor to accomplish dream – Here I will state the actual amount of labor needed to run a plantation verses the amount of money needed to support the laborers. I want to give historic facts as to how much cheaper it was to have free slaves compared to paid white indentured servants.

Fear of social class revolt – The elite white class became scared that the lower working class of blacks and whites together would join forces and revolt. In order to justify slavery and prevent a revolt, the elite white put together the idea of white being superior, which caused a division in the working class community.

So first I will be explaining the end result wanted, I will then be going into how they went about getting it, which will end in how they tried to keep what they obtained. All of these three steps together resulted in the idea of race/racism.

No comments: